Saturday, April 2, 2011

North Street Grill/ 229 North St, Boston 02113/(617) 720-2010

Finding a good breakfast restaurant in Boston is actually a whole lot easier than finding a decent Italian restaurant in the North End.  What?, you say.  Yes, that's right, I contest that most of the restaurants in the North End are actually not that good and that the best Italian in Boston can be found outside of the North End.  Make it a little better than Olive Garden, put it in "Little Italy" and the Midwesterners will come in droves.  Just make sure that you charge a whole lot more than the OG so you can continue to pay the rent.

The North Street Grill is an exception to the rule in this part of town.  And for good reason.  They actually stand out by not being an Italian restaurant.  I have only been here for breakfast, and hadn't been here for years, but always tell people that this is one of my favorite breakfast places in the city.  They wait was long on a late Sunday morning, but they gave us an idea of about how long it would be and we were able to head to Caffe Dello Sport for a quick espresso and a decent walk.  It is easiest to sit at the bar, which I most certainly prefer anyway.  The morning drink menu is pretty extensive, and I got something that had a cute name, but more importantly had a lot of different flavored rums and orange juice. and lemonade.  Awesome.  Puts a Mimosa to shame.  Just look.  You'll find it, name and all.  For food I ordered the Crab Omelet with Boursin Cheese, Chives, and Avocado.


Crab, Boursin Cheese, Chive and Avocado Omelet


Holy my #!@>#! was it good.  I almost never order Omelets, but all these flavors together looked sinfully covetous.  And they were.  As close to perfection as a breakfast can be that doesn't include bacon.  And the homefries were perfectly seasoned and homefried, which was surprising because they looked burned and overly seasoned.  They could have put a few more on the plate, for sure, but I am on a roll of not complaining.  The person next to me ordered Eggs Oscar (a.k.a. Asparagus Eggs Benedict).


Eggs Oscar


I may have tried some of that and it may have been wonderful too, especially the asparagus, which was grilled perfectly.  Impressive stuff man.  Impressive stuff.  Years ago I tried the Lobster Benedict, which was freakin' beautiful.  If you are near the North End on the weekend and would like some ridiculously good breakfast, this is the place.  I may see you there.  Give a shout.





No comments: